Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Physician-Assited Suicide for Healthy People

The thing that struck me the most this week was the story of George and Betty Coumbias. This story did not sit as well with me as the story of Craig Ewert. This is because although the whole idea of their story was romantic and it belongs in a movie, I don't like the real-life implications of it. I'm sure losing your lifelong sweetheart would be a very painful event. However, I don't believe that it is worth losing the rest of your own life over something like this. I think the thing that gets me the most is that I'm sure there are thousands of people out there that would love to have Betty Coumbias's health and she was willing to just throw that away based on someone else's life. I could just feel this way because of the way I've been brought up to never fully rely on someone else to fulfill your own life, but I think there are many other things to live for beyond the life with your spouse. Therefore, I fully agree with the decision of the physician to not approve the couple for the procedure. The end result of Betty passing away before George was very ironic, and the fact that, so far, George is still living kind of shows that the passing of one does not have to mean ending two lives.

6 comments:

  1. I agree with your post. I can't grasp the concept of wanting to die with your spouse when Betty was in such good condition. She said that she had no one else once George was gone, but they had children still alive. That just doesn't sit well with me. I also agree with the physician not approving the PAS for both of them. I can understand if he approved it for George, but not for Betty because of the health state she was in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The story of Craig is more of what I was expecting when hearing about PAS, not using the procedure to let healthy people die. I do find it sad that she feels there is nothing to life after her spouse passes even given her health and ability to pursue whatever she may want. Yes, this could be a good idea for a movie, but I agree that once you open the door for PAS on healthy individuals there is going to be no stopping who is allowed to use PAS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with what you said. While it is a wonderful story, I am sure there are many people out there who would want the same process done. I think that it leaves it open to too many people. I think it should be just saved for people who are terminally ill. I do think that she would have just accepted that he was going to pass away before her and you never know she might find something that she really enjoys that she never knew about. She should celebrate that she has been given perfect health for the time being
    Shelby

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your post. I can't grasp the concept of wanting to die with your spouse when This clip was definately eye opening to me. I don't understand how someone could want to die for no reason and leave everything they know and love behind. Betty was in such good condition. They had children and other family members to keep on living with. That just doesn't sit well with me. I know there is broken heart syndrome, but I just can't understand wanting to die when you are perfectly health. I also agree with the physician not approving the PAS for both of them. I also find it very ironic that Betty ended up dying and George is still living healthy and happy today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stories like that of George and Betty make me wonder how solid their resolve is, and if they fully understand what they're doing. George insinuated at one point that while he wished to legally participate in PAS and die with his wife, he could and would resort to other means if necessary, and even made a hand motion like shooting himself in the head while saying 'boom!' But when push came to shove and his wife died from cancer, he chose to live on. Similarly to when people have paralysis of everything but their eyes, this situation reinforced the 'theme' that people don't think their lot is really so bad once they're actually living it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you completely. You should not base your life on someone else's, no matter how much you love them. Therefore, you should not want to commit suicide just so you can die at the same time as your loved one. When I was younger I used to think that when I would die, I would die at the same time as my whole family. But that's not how life is and each person has their own life they need to live out. We each are intended to do certain things on this earth that only God knows. It would be a waste if we, ourselves, chose our own death date and missed out on our calling in life. You can still love someone just as much and not have to die the same moment they do.

    ReplyDelete